The old firehouse on the 1600 block of North Capitol Street has been converted into The Washington Firehouse, a new steakhouse and bar which opened earlier in the Fall. The firehouse was founded in 1897 and was abandoned in the 1970’s.
“Bloomingdale actually has quietly built up a lot of diverse dining options for neighborhood residents,” commented Gerard DiRuggiero, Principal Broker of UrbanLand Company. “The Firehouse is a great gathering place in Bloomingdale if you want to grab a drink or a casual meal, and is a great example of local businesses investing in the future of the neighborhood.”
The Firehouse is over 4,000 square feet and has seating for 400 indoors and an additional 80 on its outdoor patio. The menu is Southern-style from Executive Chef Peter Prime and includes catfish, thick-cut steaks and more.
This also increases to three the number of new restaurants in DC and Maryland that have taken over historic firehouse structures. Fire Station 1 is located in a former firehouse in Silver Spring and Sixth Engine in Mount Vernon Triangle is located in the former home of DC’s Engine Co. No. 6.
The Firehouse joins a small group of restaurateurs who have moved into Bloomingdale. “The Firehouse adds southern style tavern cuisine to the new Thai and tapas offerings and established pizza options that are also available now nearby,” continued DiRuggiero.
We’ll be talking a lot more about Bloomingdale as the new Bloomingdale 1812 condominium project becomes available for sales. Preview information is available by joining the project’s email list at http://Bloomingdale1812.com.