DCHFA “DC Open Doors”
DCHFA’s DC Open Doors program is built around a Down Payment Assistance Loan (DPAL) that does not have to be paid back. This is essentially “free money” – the Down Payment Loan’s balance due reduces by 20% each year for a term of 5 years, ending in a zero balance due. DC Open Doors is a true zero down program for Washington, D.C. that cuts your out-of-pocket costs on a home or condo purchase to just closing costs and other processing fees. You can qualify if you earn UNDER $140,640 per year in income as of May, 2017.
How To Use It
DC Open Doors is just like any other mortgage. You have to be able to basically qualify to borrow money for a home purchase from an authorized mortgage lender. You need steady income, a fair to good credit score of 660+, and have to meet certain other conditions. We use this program for zero down home buying for homes, condos and row homes ranging from under $100,000 to over $500,000.
In June 2013, DC’s Housing Finance Agency (DCHFA) restructured its previous DC Bonds program to make home buying assistance funds more available to both first time buyers and repeat home buyers. The current program is called the DCHFA “DC Open Doors” Program and its goal is to increase affordable homeownership in the nation’s capital through down payment assistance and mortgage financing.
UrbanLand Company & DC Open Doors
We've been using DC Open Doors for easy home buyer financing since the program began in 2013. Our agents are expert in the use of 100% financing and low down payment mortgages. We can get you financed and know how to win offers for you on homes using this style of financing program!
'DC Open Doors' is your gateway to condo & home ownership
UrbanLand Company agents have been helping home buyers successfully navigate DC Open Doors since the program began in mid-2013. If you have questions, join us twice a week (on Tuesday nights and Saturday mornings) at our main office at 913 Florida Avenue, NW.
We've represented over $49 million with successful zero down and low down payment home purchases using DC Open Doors and other local programs like it! Get help now!
Just getting started and want to learn more quickly and easily? Attend one of our Free Workshops (Tuesday nights and Saturday mornings) and ask about DC Open Doors!
DC Open Doors Basic Requirements
- You must earn UNDER $140,640 per year.
- You must have a decent to fair Credit Score (640+)
- You must have a Real Estate Agent to help you search for a home & negotiate the transaction.
- You must find a home or condo in Washington, D.C. that you can qualify for financially with a DCHFA approved Lender.
- You DO NOT have to currently live in Washington, D.C
How It Works
- DCHFA will pay the full amount of your qualified Down Payment (between 3% and 3.5% of the home purchase price).
- The Down Payment Assistance Loan is issued; the balance due reduces by 20% each year for 5 years, ending at a zero balance.
- The loan is at a 0% interest rate & no payments are due during the loan’s term.
- There are a few situations where you may default on the loan – the loan becomes Repayable or Due if you Sell the home, Refinance or are not the Primary Occupant during the 5 year term.
- Open to all DC neighborhoods & Wards.
DC Open Doors Blog
DC’s real estate market is in full swing for Spring, and a large number of condos and homes have starting […]
Here’s an update on one of our favorite home buying mortgage programs in DC! You can earn up to $131,040 […]
If you follow UrbanLand Company’s email list or Facebook page, you can see we talk a lot about first time […]
The new DC Open Doors $0 Down expansion to include FHA 203K Streamline loan products opens up a huge amount […]