Our current series continues on the difficulties, challenges and opportunities in being a local real estate agent. We’ve been talking about a variety of realtor-related issues that are relevant to both new and experienced agents.
It is time to talk about teams and team building! Through our active agent recruiting program and talks with newly licensed agents coming out of our DC Real Estate School, we get a lot of questions regarding what we think about the traditional realtor team structure and how it fits within our brokerage model.
The traditional team structure typically calls for a team leader and top producer and agents under their supervision. It is usually a mix of buyer and seller agent specialists, showing assistants, and sometimes other administrative help or transaction coordinators. Overall commissions on team transactions are split up and allocated. The trigger point that sets up the building of a traditional team is an agent at the top of the team who has built their brand successfully and has “too many leads.”
“Then you have unique initiatives like our brokerage’s Agent Leads Generation Program, which has some aspects of a traditional team and some major differences. Just like most teams, we have a large number of incoming leads constantly. They come a focus on marketing and promotion that we have had in place since 2003,” said Gerard DiRuggiero, Principal Broker of UrbanLand Company. “Agents in the Program work independently and together in some unique ways that deviate from the typical team approach.”
Here’s some of the differences:
- There’s no senior agent at the top of the team taking the best leads for themselves. Our Agent Leads Generation Program assigns leads based on again, who is trained for the lead’s needs, and who is available to service it. Every single incoming lead gets assigned to an active Program agent.
- Agents in the Program have committed to work together. This opens up real opportunities when you are dealing with a large number of leads. Here’s a great example. Our First Time Buyer leads need a lot of hand-holding and often end up in our brokerage-sponsored Workshops. Our Agents routinely push their new leads in the Workshops as a means to educate their new prospects efficiently on a variety of topics. Their leads are protected and the Workshop agent takes the lead through the Workshop topic without solicitation.
- We meet every single Thursday morning via conference call in a dedicated meeting that strictly deals with leads, what we’re doing with them, and what to do with them next. It’s a power meeting that the agents contribute heavily to. “Program agents have direct access to the brokerage marketing and lead generation team in this weekly meeting. We tweak our marketing and pursue new initiatives geared toward bringing in more leads and prospects,” said DiRuggiero. “We have several active new initiatives that derive directly from listening in to agent input and market knowledge form this simple Thursday call.”
- Agents in the Program take full responsibility for their leads and prospects. There is no layer of Showing Assistants. You are showing your own product, you control the interaction and what is said to your buyer or seller, and you are directly responsible for your own success with the prospect. It makes for a more cohesive sales process with the agent fully in control of prospect communication. A lot can go wrong when you have multiple people in an organization touching a prospect rather than one doorway of sales communication. Our Program Agents love to be accountable for what is said to their prospects during the sales process!
- Besides a low Program referral fee when you close one of the brokerage leads, agent commissions are not diluted by other members of the pipeline.
“The explanation and differences noted between our Agent Leads Generation Program and traditional real estate teams brings up a key question,” commented DiRuggiero. “Can a traditional real estate team be built within the Agent Leads Generation Program? Traditional teams inside the Program would be a great fit. The Program is currently just over 15 producing agents who are working independently as described above. If you’re a team leader currently or are in the middle of forming a team, talk to us about what the Program can do for you (and your teammates)!”
Our in-house Agent Leads Generation Program naturally maximizes your in-the-field exposure as an agent. It doesn’t matter if you’ve been licensed 5 minutes or for 5 years. Our firm’s Program for lead generation and realtor development is highly effective. The main requirement for entry into the Leads program here is 2 things – your time commitment and a desire to max out your in-the-field exposure as an agent with the public.
CRM TRAINING & MONITORING
Every person you meet. Every hand you shake. Every phone call you take. Maintaining a pipeline is easy with our in-house assistance.
There’s a secret to generating business out of online real estate leads. It’s called an exclusive pipeline of potential clients who are asking for your advice and guidance.
Multi-week rotations leading a variety of topics in our Home Buyer Workshops pays off for agents!
Open House rotation puts you play with home buyers in great price ranges and gets you face-to-face strategically with other neighborhood potential sellers. Here’s some of our typical Open House opportunities.
Again, fundamentals matter. Neighborhood outreach delivers a high return on your time investment, if you follow the game plan.
Like meeting new people a lot? Join our Same Day Showings team and get access to home buyers and renters who want to go out right now!
Experienced agent? We encourage natural and organic team building within our organization. Let us build your local team brand.
If you want to keep up-to-date on the local real estate market, new condo activities or our ongoing Topics for Agents, join our email list. It’s going strong since 2002!
Here’s some recent closings from our Agent Leads Generation Program!